Settling In

Sorry for the delay, but it took some time to get the internet up and running (it's still really slow, lol).  Here are some comments:

January 15th, 2011

The first night in Mwanza, Tanzania

After leaving Pearson International Airport at 6:45pm (our flight was delayed) on Wednesday; spending 13 hours in Amsterdam after a 7 hour flight; arriving in Nairobi with yet another layover, this time 4 hours after an 8 hour flight; then flying through Kilimanjaro International Airport, Tanzania; we finally reached our Mwanza destination.  About 17 hours of total flying time and 31 hours of total travel time.  Safe to say when I finally went to bed here on Friday at 10pm, I woke up at 3:30 the next afternoon.

Mwanza is a very nice city.  First impression is that there is a lot of people, especially young children and young adults.  I learned today that the average age is 18, so it makes a lot of sense. 

Went walking today and liked the city.  Saw Hotel Tilapia and other major landmarks to see and go.  It doesn't seem too too complicated, but going somewhere by myself is going to be tricky and something that I'll have to get use to.

I find that I'm being accepted in Mwanza.  Yes, that is a good thing.  However, people here speak to me and expect that I know kiswahili.  So out of respect, I'm going to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can.  I really like they've accepted me even though I'm not Canadian and the White Mzungus who have been here for months, don't get that same recognition.  It's nice.  Really nice.

Pics to come.

Comments