Christopher Goes to a Football Match

Today we went to watch two of Tanzania's professional soccer (football) teams here in Mwanza: Toto Africa from Mwanza vs the defending champions from Dar es Salaam, Simba.

I'll admit that this was my first experience of watching live professional soccer (like I said in an earlier post, this trip is about a lot of firsts and trying things I wouldn't be interested in at home *insert camping here*). I'm not a big fan of soccer, but I'm a huge fan of sports and I respect the athleticism and fitness of soccer players.

The game was quite entertaining and I'd estimate about 10-15 thousand people filled about a third of the stadium. There were a few blown offside calls with shouts of corrupt officials (go figure), a fluke goal, water bottles pelted on the field, a clothed streaker who was also pelted with bottles, and by time we saw the police come out in full riot gear and tear gas, we knew it was time to go.

The match ended in a 2 - 2 draw.

Comments

  1. riot gear & tear gas?? are you for real? I guess this is a norm if they had them on standby...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intense!

    Was it an important game, or are riots just status quo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knows about the riot gear and what's the norm. I figure it's pretty much like Caribana at night - I don't want to be there to see what it's like.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment