Are Drugs and Sport like Speeding on the Highway? Does Everyone Do It and Only Some Get Caught?

I have a policy of staying away from talking about "drugs" and "cheats" in athletics or sports of any kind.  Not because I condone "cheating" or PEDs (Performance Enhancing Drugs), but because a lot of these "journalists" out there that like to point fingers at some and not others are a waste of space and words.

For example:

If all baseball players that hit home runs are "cheats," don't you find it a little bit suspicious that 40 year old men can play professional hockey at an extremely high level with people in their early twenties?  If hockey were golf I'd understand, but the sport is arguably one of the most physical on the planet.

Furthermore, you remember that Waterloo CIS football steroid scandal?  If wannabe RIM and Microsoft employees are "juicing up" it's safe to say that we as a society need to re-evaluate who we string up and denigrate as "cheats."

And what about my beloved Argos?

After this new "scandal" with Asafa Powell, a second Toronto trainer that's been linked to the Argos has been involved with PEDs. 

I won't do the "guilty by association" garbage that "journalists" like to do (why Bolt would be linked to Asafa Powell is beyond me - last time I checked they train on different continents.  It's like saying all White Hispanics will kill an unarmed Black kid if they have the chance.  Hmmm on second thought, maybe journalists are right.), since when I was a top-class sprinter, I frequented Galea's Institute of Sports Medicine in Etobicoke more than once.  And I pretty well lived at York rubbing with shoulders with people like Ben Johnson and Charlie Francis.

Does that make me a "drug cheat" that should be banished to the oblivion of nothingness waiting for my ESPN documentary in 25 years?

Comments