Bagamoyo - Crocodile Farm

On our way to the historical sites of Bagamoyo, my friend and Dar es Salaam tour guide, Ezekiel, made a pitstop at a crocodile farm.

At first I thought it was a tourist attraction, then after of some explanation I was told that they farm the crocodiles for meat in Asia and clothing in Europe.  I don't think PETA would be too happy with what's going on in Bagamoyo.  Me on the other hand thought it was a cool experience to get up close and personal with crocodiles.  Add that to my list of firsts while in Tanzania.

Before I knew where we were going and about to see

The place was far from the main road

Baby crocodiles

Me holding a baby crocodile

Considering I still have all my fingers and can type this blog post, I didn't get a chance to be Steve Irwin for the day

Where they lay their eggs

I'll save the details, but this is where a live crocodile becomes a pair of shoes

Bagamoyo - Crocodile Farm

Comments

  1. I've moved on from my pet goat to my pet crocodile. Then in a few weeks, back to my real pet puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The look on your face when you're holding the crocodile... LOL Looks like you might bite its head off.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment