September 2018

Good morning folks,

First off, I would like to apologize for my laziness over the past few years.

Yup, I haven't actually written a proper blog post (or series of posts) in a number of years.

I could give you a variety of excuses - ie the 9-5 life - but I won't. I will just say I've effed up and it's time for me to start focusing again on my right brain activity so it can feed my left brain (I just learned the left/right brain self-care stuff, so for all the brain doctors out there, please be easy on me).

September is a new beginning, and now that I'm back in the academic world (I assume some of my students will be googling me to figure out who the hell I am), I think it's time for me to give some updated content of who I am.

Plus, when it comes to my courses at Waterloo, I am very focused on the individual: the I, the Self.

I am who I am.

I am unapologetic.

I am Black (and we will be engaging with what that actually means).

I am complex.

I am simple.

If you hear me, you will think one thing about me, but if you actually listen (with not just your ears), you will begin to understand my motivations. My focus. My drive. What I'm about.

As a professor, I really want my students to challenge themselves to understand the world around them.

Why are things the way they are?

Why am I the way I am?

Why is it okay for Trump/Ford/Trudeau/insert-any-agent-of-White-Supremacy-here to do the things they do without getting in trouble or with no accountability?

That's what I ask, and I always say that our answers lie (yup that has a double meaning) in our history.

It's time to (un)learn and figure it all out.

Comments